And.... we're off!!!
Walk, run, skip, through the chaotic streets of Bangkok, look at that fuchsia dragonfruit, ew, sticks of sick meat, don't look that orange juice vendor in the eyes, she's ready to open a bottle and shove it in your face! That temple over there, with shiny gold flames coming out of the sides, a Buddha alter over here, smell the sweet smell of incense wafting away from it, dogs laying sprawled half-moon across sidewalks beside street cafes, little kids are chasing each other and hiding in between folds of clothing for sale on the sidewalk beside the cafe. Duck into the temperature-controlled safety of an internet cafe to find yourself surrounded by teenagers excitedly yelling to each other as they engross in the universe of internet gaming, infinitely exciting and colorful and bonding them to each other like old men over soccer games.
Did I say safety? I mean a noisy schoolyard full of little child deamons. Who, me?? Of COURSE I love children!!! Stairs really are smaller and doorways are indeed shorter and I am much enjoying the feeling of being a "large" person when my feet dangle off the end of the bed. My first day in Asia and I run into two random people from my past as I walk the sidewalks of Khao San Road in the Traveler's Ghetto: The first, a guy I still can't quite place who went to Evergreen and his face is as familiar an imprint on my mind as the zing of peppermint on the tongue. The second, a guy named John who I last saw (and met) on Isla Ometepe in Nicaragua 3 years ago. Then today I met up with some other Rainbow warriors sitting on a sidewalk outside of the Tourist Police Station whom I plan to accompany to the Gathering tomorrow.
Apparently quite a few other folks are here for 4-6 months and are intending to travel to India as well. More on this as I discover it. Phlegm and congestion aside, I am recovering nicely from my flirt with death-inducing bacteria, and I think it's probably a good thing to start my return to the Third World with antibiotics coursing through these veins. Those deadly little bacteria sure do become cute and harmless thanks to the advents of modern science. Which is a good thing, because I hear they're on permanent vacation in tropical nations like Thailand. Time's up, folks, and my ears hurt. Until next time's exciting and enthralling edition, here's to helping you procrastinate from whatever else it is you're avoiding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment